October 30, 2007

The "casualties" of childcare and child-rearing

The last couple of days have been, well, "crappy" in the best sense of the word. As in, the days really weren't bad days, I just feel like if there was a dirty bottom, I was cleaning it. Talk about humbling experience.

But each of my "subjects" of cleaning were truly beautiful children, inside and out. These are little boys and girls whose parents are seeking to rear them in the knowledge of the One who loves them more than even their huge imaginations could ever dream. And I'm challenged by that thought--that I am helping to take care of the little ones that Jesus said we must be like in order to inherit the kingdom of heaven.

So what does it look like to be a child? Let me put it through the eyes of my firstborn: she takes it for granted that she is loved; she trusts that she will have her needs met, or asks without guile or fear or doubt for her father/mother to meet them; she dances and plays and smiles with joy unfettered by worry....

...she allows herself to be cleaned up by one who has the power to cleanse her every nook and cranny---even to the most intimate places.

That is the perspective I need to have when I'm tackling dirty diapers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your analogy, Kelsey; I'll keep it in mind for my next nursery stint... Fortunately, Landin !finally! potty trained last month, so my weeks are not so crappy anymore.
I doubt you have much time to browse the net, but if you get to visit http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/
I think you'll laugh (& you'll probably even try some of the recipes -- I just drool, myself)
Love, Rebekah