October 05, 2007

to blog or not to blog--my protectionist tendencies come out

You know, I am very up-in-the-air about this blogging thing. I mean, it is a nice, easy way of keeping in touch with people. I can muse on things that I don't mind receiving feedback about, or about people seeing. But I realize that on the whole, I really disagree with the entire concept.

Some friends of mine and I were talking this evening, and it was said that there are two people at the seminary that are criticized in the blogging world more than any others in the PCA (I believe I'm quoting this correctly). These are two people that I feel certain if truly known in an interpersonal, face-to-face manner would not incite such a reaction. They are mild in manner, with nothing attention-grabbing about their looks--in all ways individuals that don't stand out on your radar screen.

And yet, because their words are known, because that which they express externally is easily accessible to a wide audience, they have come under attack. Sure, they are in the "public eye", and are aware that there are certain consequences that come with that. But what does it mean to be the "public"? What is our responsibility?

I guess we have forgotten the lessons we once learned in school about reading objectively and for tone...about not taking offense at the drop of a hat, or making assumptions that are unfounded...about disagreeing impassionately and without seeking to destroy our fellow students/man. Are we so desperate to bump into one another in this technological world of busy-ness (where we don't get much "face time" before moving on to the next item on our agenda) that when given the opportunity we must make it personal? Do we have the right to make it personal when we have no personal knowledge of one another? Can we really read one another and assume that we have the right to speak to one another or about one another? When does it become gossip or slander?

My friend has been studying Bioethics, and it horrifies me to think of the advances we are making in technology with (apparantly) no thought to the outcome. What are the consequences of this age of accessibility, where our thoughts are made available to one another, and where we share a piece of our minds with whomever we feel? Are there any consequences, as we hide behind the indifferent screen of our information-gathering machine and shoot off at the mouth? When do we put on the brakes?

3 comments:

Spence said...

Very interesting... It's something that has crossed my mind from time to time. Perhaps, much of the problem is a cultural one, in that modern society is in many ways one of victimization. The trend isn't to victimize others so much as to victimize ourselves, as if we're entitled to a life where we won't have our feelings hurt. But i think there are other aspects. To have some impersonal writer, a stranger, offend us in something we hold to be deeply personal and important, is in some ways like being attacked by one of the communist propaganda machines of old. Not to say that bloggers are as sinister, but as individuals it's an understandable perception, having our beliefs seemingly attacked by a nameless faceless someone.

Personally, I believe that people are spoiled, and have a childish sense of entitlement as stated earlier. As far as drawing the line... that's a tough one. As a Christian our best bet is to take an honest look into our own hearts, judging our motives, and if possible, have accountability through friends. If fellow Christians (especially those you personally know and love) read your blog, then they should also keep an eye open, in case your words fall into gossip and slander.

As far as I can tell Kels, your blog isn't in danger of that, considering it seems to be written mostly out of innocent fun or honest humility. God bless. :)

Spence said...

One more thing! I was finishing up a book religious persecution in America (aptly named 'Persecution' by David Limbaugh), it was describing how Christianity is at odds with a relativist worldview, and they touched on the getting offended thing...
"What's more, if values are nothing but what I personally value, then to attack my values is to attack me. Thus when Christians make public moral statements, they are interpreted as making a personal attack."

I thought that pegged it pretty well.

becomingwhoiam said...

Thanks for both comments, Spence. And thanks, particularly, for your encouragment. I hope you are well.
-k