March 06, 2010

60 degree days

I know it's been a long time when I have harvested, put the garden to sleep, watched the winter wither what little landscaping I left, and seen my early risers return, since the last time I've written. [First man up this year: chives, shortly followed by spearmint....]

It's been a long year....not so much "year" in the traditional sense of the calendar...I mean a long academic year (and it's not over yet). Chip and I are studying together for the first time. I'm part-time, of course, but with nearly 20 credits between the two of us (per semester) and me teaching part-time at a home-school co-op (high schoolers) it makes for a studious life. Thankfully I have creative, restorative outlets and good friends, but now, as it's our 3rd year (of 5) of seminary (Chip has added a counseling degree - planning on Marriage & Family Counseling in the future, if He wills), the intimate friendships that had their foundations laid 3 years ago are beginning to dwindle as the Lord moves each of us into our areas of calling.

The first of my dear friends departed in December. Perhaps that's why I haven't had the heart to write. My stomach churns as I contemplate the loss of Colette. She is committed to me, and stands by on Skype - but it's not the same. I can't gaze into her gorgeous big eyes and read her intense looks and bask in her generous smile with me in St. Louis and her in South Africa. I miss her. It is like when I put the garden to sleep - a season has closed - I await the season yet to come when all things will awake, be made new, and raise their heads together in the light of the Son.

I will lose 3 more of my closest friends in the next 6 months. And there are only more leavings ahead. I pray I will, by His grace, hold open my heart and my hands, letting go of the ones who must move in His will, and making myself available for the others who will need a hand-hold as they come to this place, as we answer His call together, by His grace.


No comments: